Happy Medium is a company comprised of creators, innovators, artists, storytellers, makers and leaders! While operating as a digital agency, it also thrives on development of its own cutting-edge products and technology. We implement the same strategies for our clients that we do for ourselves. Happy Medium has had repeat appearances on the Inc. 5000 list, awarded to the fastest-growing companies in the United States. It has also been awarded Best Workplace for Young Professionals by the Greater Des Moines Partnership, Business with a Bright Future by the Business Record, Best Social Media Company and much more. Company culture is a priority to the agency, which is demonstrated in the unique benefits, competitive pay and founding principles: Curiosity, Happiness, Integrity and Teamwork. Happy Medium proudly supports an inclusive employee environment. We know that our clients are best supported when our teammates, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion or ability, are equally supported. We believe in opportunities for all!
Happy Medium is looking for a Senior Engineer to join our technology team!
At Happy Medium, it’s not only about depth in technology, but ongoing incubation and experimentation as to how to apply technology. Every technologist at Happy Medium helps bring ideas to reality.
As a Senior Engineer, you will guide and establish best practices, architect code, and lead technical documentation. You’ll be in front of the client leading demos and collaborating with other disciplines to explain how proposed tech solutions fit into the bigger business problem. You are able to build and design the architecture of a project, and you will be held accountable for all code on a specific project.
As the Senior Web Engineer at Happy Medium, you will be responsible for the following:
- Providing technical guidance for your team
- Designing and coding superior technical solutions for Happy Medium’s web projects
- Recognizing system inefficiencies and implementing effective solutions
- Showing aptitude and desire for owning the responsibility of technical decisions for multiple projects
- Coordinating with the design team to create low-fidelity and high-fidelity in-browser mockups of websites
- Creating and executing project work plans depending on changing needs and requirements
- Applying knowledge of industry trends and developments as well as natural curiosity to improve service to Happy Medium’s clients while enforcing coding standards
- Experience using Git in project workflows
- Creatively managing the troubleshooting of post-launch bugs or malfunctions as well as proactively suggesting updates
- Generating team enthusiasm
- Iterating quickly on HTML prototypes to bring a client’s website to life
- Integrating HTML prototypes into a user-friendly WordPress site
- Coordinating the writing of thorough documentation for clients to use and update their websites
- Updating and entering content into new and existing websites
- 5+ years of experience on a development team deploying agile methodologies, collaborating with technologists, creatives, project managers, and strategists.
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Experience with MySQL, relational databases and optimizing database performance
- Experience building eCommerce applications and familiarity with WordPress plugins such as WooCommerce
- Experience actively mentoring junior team members
- Strong understanding of modern front-end web development techniques including responsive design and website performance
- Strong experience with WordPress development
- Experience using CSS preprocessors like Sass or LESS and task runners like Grunt or Gulp
- Significant knowledge of client-server and internet systems architectures
- Strong technical communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience being a self-starter and a motivated learner
- Experience with Git
- Experience writing about technical issues
- A hunger to seek out new technologies, industry trends, and best practices -- and enjoy sharing that knowledge with others.
- Competitive pay
- Graduated unlimited PTO
- Paid holidays
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Plans
- 100% paid parental leave (including mothers, fathers and adoptive parents)